Writing at a whim

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Weather's Here, Wish You Were Beautiful

Weather's Here, Wish You Were Beautiful by Rachel McKibbens

There was the summer you ignored me so hard
it gave me bad posture. By fall, the chiropractor
prescribed a back brace and a name tag to wear
around the house.

Every Christmas Eve, instead of throwing me
a birthday party, you'd soak me in the bathtub,
fully-clothed, and hang misletoe above the light sockets.

I was never included in family portraits-
you said I had a face only a mother could leave.
I remember standing in your hallway every other weekend,
gazing at you and my stepbrother, wearing the framed smiles
I knew I would inherit.

I became your biggest fan, chasing your car home
from the grocery store, standing outside your bedroom
for an autograph or a handshake, explaining,
Ma, I've seen ever one of your home movies!
"Weekend Trip to the Zoo," "Mother Son Picnic in Yosemite"
and I know every one of your mood swings by heart.

When you'd drop me off at home, I'd brag to Dad
and his girlfriend about my brush with fame. They'd smile
and nod, then shake the wild imagination right out of me.

Pretty soon the weekend visits faded into a nineteen-year
carnival line where I waited for you until the sights and sounds
of families and laughter made my stomach plunge.

That's the year I lost my appetite then found it
in men disguised as getaway cars. Sometimes a tingling sensation
sweeps across my face like an amputee's phantom itch,
and I realize how much I miss the back of your hand.

I know, I never apologized for steering you
into that marital car crash, but how was I to know
they'd pry your legs apart, drag me from the wreckage,
my first cries shattering that rear view mirror of a heart?

You could have told them. You could've explained-
I was just some filthy hitchhiker you never meant to pick up.
A greedy little fetus. An accident waiting to happen.

Labels:


/10:40 PM

about me

vanessa.
boring and inscrutable.
satirical and opinionated.
sardonic but innocuous.
enigmatic and taciturn.
pococurante but caring.
neurotic but with equanimity.
you wouldn't get me at all,
cause I wouldn't let you.

quote

"Let me tell you this: Some of life's questions you have to answer, some you just have to dance your face off and scream "no comment."" --- John Mayer

drop a line

previously
my past


you people

3 of us
Cell
Desiree
Eunice
Freesia
Janice
Jasmine Wee
Jessie
Jiaying
Kristal
Pearlly
Shiyun
Tingen
Wanwen
Weilien
Xinyi