Writing at a whim

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Good Girl

Good Girl by Jeanann Verlee

Every morning I sit at the kitchen table over a tall glass of water swallowing pills. 
(So my hands won’t shake.) (So my heart won’t race.) (So my face won’t thaw.) 
(So my blood won’t mold.) (So the voices won’t scream.) (So I don’t reach for 
knives.) (So I keep out of the oven.) (So I eat every morsel.) (So the wine goes
bitter.) (So I remember the laundry.) (So I remember to call.) (So I remember the
name of each pill.) (So I remember the name of each sickness.) (So I keep my 
hands inside my hands.) (So the city won’t rattle.) (So I don’t weep on the bus.) (So 
I don’t wander the guardrail.) (So the flashbacks go quiet.) (So the insomnia
sleeps.) (So I don’t jump at car horns.) (So I don’t jump at cat-calls.) (So I don’t 
jump a bridge.) (So I don’t twitch.) (So I don’t riot.) (So I don’t slit a strange man’s 
throat.)

Labels:


/9:56 PM

about me

vanessa.
boring and inscrutable.
satirical and opinionated.
sardonic but innocuous.
enigmatic and taciturn.
pococurante but caring.
neurotic but with equanimity.
you wouldn't get me at all,
cause I wouldn't let you.

quote

"Let me tell you this: Some of life's questions you have to answer, some you just have to dance your face off and scream "no comment."" --- John Mayer

drop a line

previously
my past


you people

3 of us
Cell
Desiree
Eunice
Freesia
Janice
Jasmine Wee
Jessie
Jiaying
Kristal
Pearlly
Shiyun
Tingen
Wanwen
Weilien
Xinyi